Wilmslow's Miller & Carter

I don't normally vent unhappy experiences in my blog preferring to write about positive experiences - but whatever happened to the mantra be kind to one another?

I'd be interested to hear your stories  as I explain how I discovered  it's a waste of time booking a table at Wilmslow's Miller & Carter because even if you do -  it will be ignored. This has been my recent personal experience! 

Like so many other people I was really looking forward to eating out after lockdown - only to be really disappointed. This is exactly what happened to me this Friday night (21st August) at Wilmslow's Miller& Carter where I used to be a regular.  Post lockdown I've also been there with girl-friends for several lunches. But recently after a series of operations I'm currently hobbling about on crutches - so a comfy seat is a priority and I had booked my favourite table for three where my back and legs are less painful and we arrived exactly on time.

As a BBC journalist on radio and television as well as writing for several national magazines and newspapers (including The Stage and Television Today & Theatre Editor of the Manchester Evening News) I've been fortunate to eat at some of the best restaurants in the world but a booking has always been honoured.- apart from this one occasion at Wilmslow's Miller & Carter.

I'd booked my favourite table for 3 people including a senior journalist from a national newspaper - it was his treat - so you can imagine our joint surprise and disappointment to be told by the Deputy Manager that 2 people were already seated  at my table and although they had no food served he refused to move them. I pointed out that I had booked that table and  if the couple saw I was on crutches they may be happy to move - but that request was also refused. My guest had driven 4 hours to get there and if he hadn't been so tired we would have left. This officious refusal led to an uncomfortable evening for all of us and although the bill was approx £100 I only ate a few chips and even the 'doggie bag' went in the bin. I barely slept that night from indigestion.

I'd like to hear if you've ever had a similar experience. Have you noticed a disregard for people on crutches or with a disability of some other kind- and is this a generational thing?  I had begun to notice a general lack of respect since lockdown  with people disregarding social distancing, holding raves, not wearing masks etc  but think it's only when you experience something personally, as I did at the Miller & Carter, that it brings it home. Let me know as I'd like to hear from you. Meantime let's try to remember to be kind to one another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW of EVERYBODY'S TALKING ABOUT JAMIE AT THE LOWRY

The Osmonds - A New Musical next year!

Twelve Angry Men at The Lowry - Review by Natalie Anglesey