THE LAST SHIP

I recently had the pleasure of meeting music legend Sting at the Salford launch of his debut musical, The Last Ship, first seen on Broadway. What a day that was!  He sat with his guitar and sang songs from the musical and talked openly about his background - the inspiration for this powerful piece. I couldn't wait to see the show and wasn't disappointed. So I'm recommending it to all my friends and fellow bloggers.

I'm not going to tell you the story or give away any spoilers as I'd love you to see it through fresh eyes. But will just suggest some pointers to save you having to ruin your eyesight trying to read the programme in the dark!

The production, has a Tony-nominated original score and lyrics composed by Sting, and is touring until July. I saw it at the Liverpool Playhouse and if you haven't been I also recommend you give it a try  as it's a great theatre space. 
The tour will play Birmingham, Northampton, Leeds, Nottingham, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow, York and end at The Lowry in Salford.

The cast includes Richard Fleeshman, Charlie Hardwick, Joe McGann and Frances McNamee who all feature in the trailer you can see below– which also features wonderful sets from 59 Productions – winners of the Best Design Olivier Award (alongside Bob Crowley) – for recent West End hit An American in Paris.




Sting told me The Last Ship, was initially inspired by his 1991 album, The Soul Cages, and his own childhood experiences. It tells the story of a community amid the demise of the shipbuilding industry in Tyne and Wear, with the closure of the Swan Hunter shipyard. It's a very personal, political and passionate musical from the multiple Grammy Award winner and is an epic account of a family, a community and a great act of defiance. You may need a hanky!


It stars one of my personal favourites, the talented, and very handsome, Richard Fleeshman, star of among other shows, Ghost The Musical, and here's his pic with me at the glitzy opening night party on Broadway. He's also toured with the likes of Elton John and is thrilled to be working with Sting in such a great role as young Gideon. Highly recommended and, as the tour is all too short don't leave it too late before you book. I can't wait to see it again! Have a look at the trailer.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lau04ucev6duyht/Online_TheLastShip_90s_Quotes.mp4?dl=0





The Last Ship has a new book by Lorne Campbell, original book by John Logan and is produced by Northern Stage in association with Karl Sydow and Kathryn Schenker.

THE LOWRY, SALFORD - Tues 3 - Saturday  July 7


thelowry.com | 0843 208 6000














Comments

  1. I remember seeing Richard Fleeshman in Ghost The Musical in Manchester a few years ago. A very talented man and I'm sure he'll be great in The Last Ship. It looks a really strong cast.
    I've enjoyed Sting's music over the years but know very little of his background. It's always good news when a new show comes to town. Can't wait for this one and I've already got my ticket. Enjoying the new blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW of EVERYBODY'S TALKING ABOUT JAMIE AT THE LOWRY

Twelve Angry Men at The Lowry - Review by Natalie Anglesey

The Osmonds - A New Musical next year!